Main Stage program
Chair's Opening Remarks8:50 AM - 9:00 AM View details
FIRESIDE CHAT: INNOVATION IN A NEW ERA OF ADVERTISING9:00 AM - 9:30 AM
We are in the middle of the next big shift in the advertising industry. One that has emerged due to a series of monumental changes. Throughout it all, the power of the consumer has become increasingly evident and has acted as an additional catalyst in driving massive change. The result is a call to action for advertisers: to meet consumer expectations of personalized, authentic, and frictionless experiences without sacrificing their equal, if not heightened, emphasis on data and privacy. Join Leanne Gibson, Director & Head of Industry of Facebook Canada as she delivers an invitation to the advertising industry to rise together and embrace the opportunities that now exist, and she and Sonia Carreno, President of Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada discuss creative ways to re-imagine the ads ecosystem.
- Sonia Carreno President Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada (IAB Canada)
- Leanne Gibson Director at Facebook Canada Facebook
AI AND BRAIN? THE FUTURE OF NEURO TECHNOLOGY9:30 AM - 10:00 AM
- Ananya Chadha Intern Neuralink
Networking Break10:00 AM - 10:30 AM View details
PANEL DISCUSSION: BUILDING RESPONSIBLE, HUMAN-CENTRIC AI MODELS10:30 AM - 11:15 AM
- Conor Jensen VP of Data Science Dataiku
- Domhnaill Hernon Director Innovation and Creativity EY
- Banu Raghuraman Digital Product Manager EY
THE INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES TECHNOLOGY PROJECT AT NRC11:15 AM - 11:45 AM
- Roland Kuhn Principal Research Officer National Research Council of Canada (NRC)
Machine Learning: Necessity vs Obligation11:45 AM - 12:15 PMView details
Nowadays, there is a lot of hype and excitement around artificial intelligence and machine learning! Almost all 21st-century startups use these terms while explaining their next innovation. But is machine learning (ML) the solution to all problems? If not, when should we use it and when should we not? In this talk, we answer these questions by providing insights obtained from real-world examples. More specifically, we demonstrate an example of both scenarios: 1) when our fancy ML model (transformer-based NLP model) significantly outperformed all other methods and 2) when a simple rule-based system outperformed our fancy ML model by a huge margin! We hope that sharing these learnings and insights with you will help you determine the right direction for solving your own problems!
Lunch Break12:00 PM - 1:00 PM View details
- Main Stage
WHAT MACHINES CAN TEACH US ABOUT OURSELVES?1:15 PM - 1:45 PM
Machines have become an inherent part of the Earth's ecosystem. From conception to death, we use them in various ways and forms. Specifically, today, machines have become "smart" which makes us think the days of Terminator is not very far. While they still evolve under our efforts to push the envelope, there is a lot that we can learn and grow from them.
- Banu Raghuraman Digital Product Manager EY
The future of AI in powering clinical trial innovation1:45 PM - 2:15 PM
The pharmaceutical industry is increasingly exploring the potential of AI-driven solutions. Clinical trials are the longest, most expensive part of the pharmaceutical industry operations. Yet many pain points that clinical trials face may be solved by digital technology and AI-powered solutions, with the potential to reduce costs of clinical trials and increase speed, ultimately impacting the process of bringing novel therapies to market to meet patient needs.
This session will cover:
- Market trends around AI-powered solutions in the pharmaceutical sector
- Four main areas of operations where Pharma is set to see benefits from the use of artificial intelligence
- Three challenges traditionally seen in clinical trials which make it an area for possible disruption
- Big data and AI-powered solutions being developed and/or explored to address traditional clinical trial challenges
- Oksana Andreiuk Digital & Data Innovation Lead Abbvie
NON FUNGIBLE TOKENS AND IP ISSUES2:15 PM - 2:45 PM View details
NOT ALL DATA IS CREATED EQUAL2:45 PM - 3:15 PM
- Alexandra Panousis CEO & Chair Dentsu Media Canada
Networking Break3:15 PM - 3:45 PM View details
CLOSING KEYNOTE: BUILDING A SOLID DATA FOUNDATION AT YORK REGION3:45 PM - 4:15 PM
- John Houwelling Director, Data, Analytics and Visualization Services, Corporate Services The Regional Municipality of York
Join the Big Data and AI Toronto community
Get the latest event updates, speaker announcements, promotions, and exclusive content by signing up to the Big Data and AI Toronto newsletter.